Thursday, September 27, 2007

Coffee...

He was sitting on the back porch steps. She walked up to him.

"I'm leaving now."

"Please. Don't."
"Did you get everything?"

"Yes. Except for the brown stroller."
"And the memories."

"I'll help you with it."
"I always said it was too big for you."

"Thanks."
"Aren't you gonna say anything to stop me?"

[PAUSE]

"Uhhh...It's going to be a long drive. Do you want a cup of coffee before you...?"
"One last time. For old times sake?"

"Well, I should get going actually, but I guess I could use one."
"The coffee-pot's already on. And he is using coasters. I guess two years of nagging does have effect after all."

"Why are you smiling?"
"I've missed that smile so much. But why am I even asking? I know she's not gonna say anything."

"Nothing...it's nothing."
"For chrissakes, stop smiling. But he does look cute when he's confused."

"I'll...I'll go get the coffee."
"In her favourite mug. I wonder why she didn't pack it up with the rest of her stuff. Good thing I didn't smash it to pieces like I wanted to the other day."

[PAUSE]

"That was quick. Thanks."
"Mmmm...not too frothy, not too sweet, hint of cinnamon. Perfect. If only he had done things like these more often. I can't remember the last time..."

"I hope it's okay."
"Never mind. I can tell you like it."

[PAUSE]

"What are you thinking?"
"You'd better be thinking of something to say to stop me."

"About how simple things used to be. How did we get here? What happened?"
"I guess life happened."

"Hmm."
"What is he getting at?"

"We never went to Paris like we always said we would."
"The City of Love."

"I guess we just got busy with our careers."
"Seriously, if he's just gonna go off into one of his reminiscense daydreams, I'd better leave now."

"Well...so, you know...I was just thinking that...I'm off work for two weeks...and you're already packed...so if you want...we could..."
"O my God, she's giving me that dazed look. Oh wait, now she looks like she's about to cry."

"You are the most crazy...impulsive...deviant...oddball I've ever known, you know that, you silly idiot?"
"Thank you God, thank you..."

[PAUSE] [SOBS] [TEARS] [HUGS]

"So what do we do with the divorce papers?"

"Well, you always said we didn't use the fireplace more often."

"Oh and you do remember that we always said that we'd fly to Paris first class, right?"

"I can't say I do. We still have to pay the lawyers you know."

"No worries. I'm not moving out so you don't have to pay for that."

"You are such a spendthrift."

"And you are such a cheapskate."

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

Nice.... =)

GreenGrl said...

Just 2 words from me..

If only...

Life's like that said...

Honestly, i wish things were as simple as u put it in this write up....its not how it works in reality unfortunately!

IndiGeek said...

@ priyanka & sumita: And I thought I was a cynic :P